history in the making

Boone’s Chapel was built in 1682 as a private almshouse chapel with four houses attached. It was the gateway to the founders’ house, Lee Place, and became their mausoleum. It was unused and derelict since the 1940s and is  one of the two Grade 1 listed buildings in Lewisham. In 2008 the Blackheath Historic Buildings Trust found a use for it as an architect’s office and the building will be open 30 days a year with exhibitions. Further information of past and forthcoming events can be found here.

This site presents a story of the past and the re-making of Boone's chapel in 2008. It was researched and presented by its present occupants, Research Design, with help from Ian Mills, and Bob Boone. Further information is available in our publication 'History in the Making'.

logo: copy of handwriting from an eighteenth century minute book

home    open days    history    making    contact    links

                   current                                       films               publications

                   past                                            architecture